Subject: Re: [DNA] FTDNA upgrade to GenoProject
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 18:21:07 EDT

writes:

> Mmmm... I agree on this one. While I realise that FTDNA is in business
> to make money, this is a little bit blatant. It does NOT as far as I can
> see tell us anything additional, and the cost to either FTDNA or the
> Genographic Project of actually doing the data transfer is negligible (since
> it involves nothing more than sending electronic records). The
> Genographic Project is the primary beneficiary, since they're getting
> bunches of data without having to run the associated lab tests, and FTDNA
> gets good PR out of it, so it seems to me more appropriate that this should
> be a freebie on the lines of the Ysearch database.

If you test directly through the Genographic Project, part of your fees go to
support the program. The fee you pay to FTDNA goes to the same purpose:

http://www.ftdna.com/ftdna_genographic.html#q7

> You are certainly welcome to join the Genographic Project. To do so, in a
> few weeks, you will be able to log into your personal page at Family Tree DNA
> and from there, you will see a link "Join the Genographic Project". There is
> a nominal cost. Proceeds will go directly to the National Geographic Society
> to support local education and cultural preservation efforts to benefit the
> participating indigenous populations.

Adding your results to the project will enhance its value, as spelled out by
Spencer Wells in one of his messages relayed to the mailing list shortly after
the project was announced. Then later you'll be able to see how your personal
results fit into the overall picture, too.

Ann Turner

This thread: