From: Charles <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] FTDNA upload to Genographic Project
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 18:37:58 -0400

Glen, et al:

I think I read on the FTDNA site that the $15 upload/join the
genographic project fee gets forwarded to the National Geographic
Society Genographic Project to fund the worldwide testing project. I
don't think FTDNA keeps that upload/join genographic project fee. Can
anyone else clarify that?

Charles Kerchner

Glen Todd wrote:
>>If I follow this thread correctly, it costs $15 to upload
>>your 12 marker Y
>>results, and $15 to upload your MtDNA, for a total of $30.
>>
>>Besides doing them a favor, by giving them more data, is
>>there anything in
>>this project that can tell us anything about our ancestry?
>

> Mmmm... I agree on this one. While I realise that FTDNA is in business
> to make money, this is a little bit blatant. It does NOT as far as I can
> see tell us anything additional, and the cost to either FTDNA or the
> Genographic Project of actually doing the data transfer is negligible (since
> it involves nothing more than sending electronic records). The
> Genographic Project is the primary beneficiary, since they're getting
> bunches of data without having to run the associated lab tests, and FTDNA
> gets good PR out of it, so it seems to me more appropriate that this should
> be a freebie on the lines of the Ysearch database.
>
> Glen

This thread: