From: (David Faux)
Subject: Re: [DNA] R1b in Norway - Role of British Slaves
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 01:21:57 +0000

Joan:

It is good to get things confirmed and verified. I was basing my statements on the YHRD summary chart by region on the World Families site. Perhaps there are clerical errors here. Assuming you are correct, it certainly pays to go back to the original data source prior to making bold statements. However, my major point still stands, and that is that an unknown percentage of the R1b of Western Norway is likely Celtic. The example of Iceland and Faroe makes this a virtual certainty. What is still debatable is the absolute and relative numbers, and whether it would be possible with high resolution testing to separate out the native Norse R1b from the Celtic imports.

David F.

> Dear David,
>
> I have also been mining the YHRD_Eurasian database,
> though primarily for Iberia.
>
> However, I find there are 8/85 occurrences of 24/11/13
> in Eastern Norway. Are you and I perchance looking at
> different versions of the database?
>
> I find using four markers, 389ii/390/391/392, to be
> more diagnostic in differentiating R1b sub-clades.
>
> For instance, looking at just 29/24/11/13 yields:
>
> London 13.4%
> South Ireland 19.6%
> West Norway 4.7%
> East Norway 8.2%
> North Norway 6.7%
> Sweden 6.0%
>
> It would seem more likely to me that 29/24/11/13 was
> native to Scandinavia before the Viking era.
>
> (As an aside, 29/24/11/13 is the most common R1b
> haplotype in all regions of Iberia, though there is
> some variation in percentage. 29/24/10/13 ranks as
> second most popular in all regions except Andalusia.)
>
> I understand the samples come from paternity tests of
> modern-day populations. I still question whether they
> are indicative of ancient populations in these regions
> (due to both population drift and genetic drift).
>
> Sincerely, Joan

This thread: