From: (David Faux)
Subject: Re: [DNA] Re: Genographic Project Upload Tab - Now Available!
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 01:53:11 +0000

Bill:

To the best of my knowledge they are also using an algorithm to make the assignments. There are convergent mutations. FTDNA has done some SNP (actually RFLP) tests but only very rarely when there is nothing at all in the literature about the mtDNA sequence motif. My father's is no where to be found, but seeing 16224 and 16311 in the midst of a bunch of other "mutations" FTDNA opted for an assignment to haplogroup K based only on the Control D loop region - not the coding region. If I really want to be sure, I will have to complete tests of the coding region (which, since it is K, we will have to do ourselves since no subclade testing is available commercially except for H).

David F.

> Doug wrote:
> >
> > What about the mtDNA transfers? HVR1 is not exactly enough to
> > be sure for lots of people.
> >
> > I'm a J1 (they call it J*) and while I have perfect matches
> > to other people in HVR2 I don't to anybody in HVR1 (two differences).
> > They don't indicate I need another test to be converted to the NGS.
> > Thus their criterion for mtDNA may be looser than for Y-DNA.
>
> Doug, since the mtDNA test is a SNP test, there is no other test to take to
> qualify for the NGS transfer.
>
> Bill Hurst

This thread: