From: "John A. Blair" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] FTDNA upgrade to GenoProject
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 22:27:47 -0400

Ernie,

I am on the list and I have no intention of paying $15.00 to upload my
FTDNA test results to the GenoProject. Furthermore I resent your comment
that you are "surprised they were ever involved in DNA testing, or
genealogy either, for that matter".

For the record the GenoProject has absolutely nothing to do with
convnetional genealogy. It is an anthropological study.

To quote FTDNA "The Genographic Project is going to test your sample to
determine what migratory routes your deep ancestors followed and to which
branch of the human family tree you belong."

To further quote FTDNA "This test will be for the Y-DNA 12 markers for
males and the mtDNA for females. They will address solely your deep
ancestral origins and migratory history. If you need the test more markers
to help with your genealogical research, you can either start with the
Genographic Project and then request additional tests from Family Tree DNA,
or you can order a test kit directly from Family Tree DNA."

I doubt there many members of this list who are more involved in
conventional genealogy and the use of DNA testing to suppliment
conventional genealogy than me. I've been involved with DNA testing for
almost 3 years and manage one the largest and most successful DNA Surname
Projects at FTDNA.

Just because I have no interest in anthropology (excuse me, I guess I
should say "deep ancestral origins") doesn't mean I'm not interested in
genealogy.

I think you would find that the majority of the 25,000+ participants in the
more than 1,100 surname projects underway through FTDNA are far more
interested in their ancestry over the part several hundred years as opposed
to going back thousands of years.

Your attempt to shame those of us that are not interested in this
anthropological study into joining so you can further your own interests is
insulting.

I think you owe all of us who are very interested in DNA and conventional
genealogy but have no interest "deep ancestral origins" an apology.
John
-----
John A. Blair
Goffstown NH
http://blairgenealogy.com
mailto:
BLAIR DNA Project Coordinator

At 06:58 PM 6/7/2005, you wrote:
>If there's anyone on the list that can't afford or won't let go of $15.00, I'm
>surprised they were ever involved in DNA testing, or genealogy either, for
>that matter.
>
>Ernie Hurst

This thread: