From: Bonnie Schrack <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Re: Genographic Project Upload Tab - Now Available!
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 23:00:40 -0400

I know Bill already answered this, but I thought I'd try to clarify further.

Doug wrote:

> I'm a J1 (they call it J*) and while I have perfect matches
> to other people in HVR2 I don't to anybody in HVR1 (two differences).
> They don't indicate I need another test to be converted to the NGS.
> Thus their criterion for mtDNA may be looser than for Y-DNA.

I would not say "looser." It works differently. MtDNA mutations are
like Y SNPs, in that if you have a certain set of them, you can often be
placed in a particular haplogroup, and then additional mutations that
you may have can be considered as "private SNPs." The fact that you
have no matches for some of your mutations is not necessarily important
in determining haplogroup.

All along, FTDNA has been willing to perform further testing of mtDNA
beyond analyzing HVR1 and 2, when necessary, without charge, to
determine haplogroups. Their system for determining haplogroups and
deciding who needs further testing has now been renovated (personal
communication, Bennett Greenspan). In general their philosophy is that
they feel sure of everyone's reported mtDNA haplogroup, either through
analysis of HVR mutations or further testing. I have found errors in
their system in the past, but I believe that things will be improving
now, with their Genographic Project involvement, which is bringing in
new scientists. The point is that they don't consider your reported
mtDNA haplogroup an "estimate" the way the Y-DNA haplogroup can be.

Bonnie Schrack

This thread: