From: "John A. Blair" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] FTDNA upgrade to GenoProject
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 00:41:40 -0400

Dave,

I apologize if it sounded like I was hostile those who are interested in
the GenoProject and their deep ancestral origins. That was certainly not my
intention. I realize there are great many people both on and off the list
that are very interested in both the GenoProject and their deep ancestral
origins and I would certainly encourage those with such interests to pursue
them to the fullest.

As for "Those deep ancestral origins are part of your genealogy, like it or
not", I guess I'd say that depends on how you define genealogy (a point I
suggest we don't debate as I doubt we would ever agree). I will agree that
my deep ancestral origins are part of who I am, but my interests are in
conventional genealogy (the time frame of surnames) and I'm far more
concerned with who my gr-gr-gr-gr-gr grandfather is than knowing some
ancestor 5,000 years ago came from a region on earth (I hope) that I can't
even pronounce. As for what I'm afraid of learning, believe me, I'm much
more concerned about what I might turn up in researching my last 8
generations that where I may have come from 5,000 years ago.

Obviously you and I interpreted Ernie's remarks differently. I hope you are
right, in which case I apologize again. But to me the implication was that
those who don't support the GenoProject should be not involved in DNA
testing or genealogy. I hope I'm wrong, but if I'm not, I still feel an
apology is in order. Only Ernie knows what he meant.
John
-----
John A. Blair
Goffstown NH
http://blairgenealogy.com
mailto:
BLAIR DNA Project Coordinator

At 11:36 PM 6/7/2005, you wrote:
>I don't think an apology is owed you or anyone else. Those deep ancestral
>origins are part of your genealogy, like it or not. Your hostility to
>exploring those origins is puzzling. (What are you afraid of learning?)
>
>The comment was in reference to people too cheap to pay $15 for the
>transfer fee to the genographic project. For most of us participating in
>molecular genealogy projects, it doesn't make sense to object to shelling
>out an additional $15 after spending more than a hundred dollars for the
>other DNA testing -- and possibly hundreds or thousands of dollars on
>other types of "conventional" genealogical research -- based on cost alone.
>
>I don't think the original post was intended to denigrate those who choose
>to opt out of the genographic project for other reasons.
>
>I suggest easing up on the attitude and indignation. Your reaction is
>entirely out of proportion to whatever offense you have perceived.
>
>Dave Lawrence

This thread: