From: Robert Stafford <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Non-Participation in Genographic Project
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 04:19:05 -0700 (PDT)

The greater divide may be between those who believe that the public data will actually be useful to scientists studying ancient migrations and those who believe it is just a money raiser. It appears that the public portion is a financial project looking for a scientific rationale. It seems that, after the question was brought up, Wells and NGS came up with tortured explanations of how their scientists will use the data. See the rationale at the bottom of this page:

http://www.ftdna.com/forum/showthread.php?t=741

As you can see, they are not even proposing that the data will be useful for the study of ancient migrations. Rather, it will be used for modern migrations. Thus, non-participants cannot be accused of "hostility to exploring those [ancient] origins." A direct financial contribution to the project would give more bang for the buck to the study of ancient migrations.

It is hard to see how new DNA results will add anything to the mounds of statistics already available to document modern migrations. Even if they were useful, I would rather see data collected in a more methodical manner.

Bob Stafford

"David M. Lawrence" <> wrote:
I don't think an apology is owed you or anyone else. Those deep
ancestral origins are part of your genealogy, like it or not. Your
hostility to exploring those origins is puzzling. (What are you afraid
of learning?)

This thread: