From: "David M. Lawrence" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Non-Participation in Genographic Project
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 09:06:34 -0400

How many of you who question the use of the data are scientists? I'm
one, and I happen to know quite well that one cannot analyze data you
don't have. Part of the study involves collecting samples from
indigenous populations that have not been as mobile as ours. That data
will be used to get a baseline measure of regional genetic variation.
That data will NOT reveal anything about more recent migrations and gene
flow among groups. With both data sets, scientists can ask many more
questions than they can ask with just one or the other.

I suggest Mr. Stafford work on his reading comprehension -- the reply
clearly indicates that the project hopes to answer questions of both
deep and recent ancestry. Deep ancestry is also given as one of the
goals in the project FAQ (http://www.ftdna.com/ftdna_genographic.html).

The response on how the data is appropriately vague, however, in that no
scientist knows all relevant questions when embarking on a project. The
answer to one question often leads to many more questions. I don't
expect Wells et al., to be able to anticipate all those other questions
in advance.

As for the ludicrous allegations that the project is just a fund-raiser
-- and those allegations are ludicrous -- I just spent more than $300
replacing lost ecological field equipment so that I can do more
fieldwork this summer. The amount that they're requesting we pay for
the transfer, $15, is negligble. That's about two or three hours for a
work-study student's wages, about one or two hours of a graduate
research assistant's wages, and only a few minutes of an information
tech's wages. It's a lot less than what I charge people for one hour of
consulting work.

Those estimates do not include costs of data processing, data storage,
or a host of other research-related charges.

If anyone continues to insist that this project has a profit motive,
I'll have to check news reports to see if they have been mentioned in
any alien-abduction cases.

Dave Lawrence

--
David M. Lawrence | Home: (804) 559-9786
7471 Brook Way Court | Fax: (804) 559-9787

"We have met the enemy and he is us." -- Pogo

"No trespassing
4/17 of a haiku" -- Richard Brautigan

This thread: