Subject: Re: [DNA] Non-Participation in Genographic Project
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 11:18:41 EDT

In a message dated 6/8/2005 4:20:00 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
writes:

It is hard to see how new DNA results will add anything to the mounds of
statistics already available to document modern migrations. Even if they were
useful, I would rather see data collected in a more methodical manner.

Please remember the public participants not uploading their data are from
all over the world (at least in theory -- I hope FTDNA includes some kind of
"Continent of Origin" data when they do their statistical picture of these
folks).

We have discussed ad nauseum on this list the deficiencies in the databases
of particular locations in Europe and elsewhere, as well as the difficulty of
obtaining grant funds for research that isn't strictly medically oriented.
While a "more methodical manner" may well be desired, in the above described
world "you takes your data where you gits 'em." You never know what this
data might tell us -- especially when correlated with the data we have all
painstakingly collected in our Surname Studies. Especially for R1b folks!

While I respect John Blair's right to hold his opinion, I find it puzzling
(of course I don't know the details of what he knows about his genealogy).
I'd upload my data (if I had it yet) for $30, even though every $1 for DNA is
literally carved out out of my budget by major surgery. How can John Blair be
sure there isn't a related Blair who participated in the NGS Project but
didn't opt to join his surname project? A match might tell him something about
his genealogical history he doesn't already know. But that is his choice.

Anne

This thread: