From: "David M. Lawrence" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Non-Participation in Genographic Project
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 12:43:16 -0400

Dear Bob,

The FAQ for the public participation portion
(http://www.ftdna.com/ftdna_genographic.html) addresses deep migration, too.

"Public participation: The general public around the world is invited to
participate in this landmark effort real-time through the purchase of a
cheek swab kit for $99.95 (except where restricted by law). The kit will
allow participants to discover the migratory history of their own deep
ancestors."

It's obvious that you hadn't read my post carefully, or you would be
able to deduce the answer to whether or not I am a scientist. If you
knew more about research -- from more than a few college classes -- you
would understand the relevance of the rest of my words. Research costs
money. The $15 assessed for data transfers is a negligble cost -- it
certainly isn't enough to be called a fundraiser.

Finally, the "mounds of data" on human migrations are spotty and based
on small sample sizes, thus their scientific utility is limited. The
public participation portion of the Genographic project will help
overcome the limitations of the preexisting data.

Dave

--
David M. Lawrence | Home: (804) 559-9786
7471 Brook Way Court | Fax: (804) 559-9787

"We have met the enemy and he is us." -- Pogo

"No trespassing
4/17 of a haiku" -- Richard Brautigan

This thread: