From: Ruy Cardoso <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] FTDNA upgrade to GenoProject (Deep Ancestry Debate Encore)
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 10:14:38 -0700 (PDT)

David Faux wrote:

> I have long sensed some overt displeasure in a
> number of surname administrators of large projects
> who appear to long for the old days when Y-STRs
> MRCRs and mutation rates were the hot topics.
> Frankly, I don't know what there is to discuss that
> hasn't already been addressed and obtainable in the
> Archives to this List. How many fresh and
> invigorating questions can be asked about the
> subject?

That may be true for the old-timers, David, but it is
not necessarily true for the DNA newbies, and they
would be hard-pressed to search the archives if they
didn't know what to be searching for in the first
place. While I know only a modest amount about the
subject of this list, I have on multiple occasions
answered newbie questions off-list for fear that the
person asking the question would never find the needle
of the reply in the haystack of ancient origins posts.

David then later said:

> However this does not alter the fact that there is
> room for everyone on the List, and everyone is
> welcome.

How welcome do you suppose a DNA newbie would feel
given your earlier comment above? I'm sure this
question sounds more critical than I intend it to be,
and I most certainly don't want to come off as all
sanctimonious or anything similar. But let me suggest
that you put yourself in the newbie's shoes and
re-read what you wrote above.

Ruy Cardoso

Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html