From: "Kenneth V. Graves" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] DNA Analysis for Conventional Genealogy vs. Deep Ancestry
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 14:15:15 -0400

In a previous message I wrote:
Are there techniques that we could be developing that would better allow
determining exact connections? I suspect that if we tested enough markers
(perhaps including types that are not now tested) we would find that for
each transmission event there is some sort of change/mutation. Although some
of these might not have long-term stability, we might be able to find
something unique for each transmission event, allowing us to pinpoint the
exact connection with a lineage. Maybe some enterprising person could even
find a way to screen the genome for changes connected with a specific
transmission event or lineage.

I was mainly referring to Y-DNA testing in this paragraph. I also realize
that any methodology for doing this might require many descendants of a
common ancestor to be tested, and that we have previously discussed on this
list the value of testing more markers. My question is: Do any of our
experts see the general concept of the preceding paragraph as promising?

Ken

This thread: