From: "Sharon Bryant" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] R1b and DYS 385a
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 16:01:51 -0400

Hi Allen,

Yes, the release was signed. I watched him do it since we live together.
There were no matches when the results first came in so I went in and
changed the preferences so that matches would show even if they are not in
the surname project. (And, I just went back to his personal page to verify
no matches -- yep, I was right -- no 12/12 matches and no other matches
listed, no even four steps away).

I have loaded his results into Y-Search and just ran a comparison.
Interestingly, there are a lot of names with 1-step, 2-step, 3-step
mutations. I picked some at random (well, they were at random until I
realized I was seeing a lot of Charles' Kerschner names as 1- or 2- step
mismatches) and compared them. Four that I chose were Kershners or a variant
spelling and the other two I looked at was Day which was my birth name.

In each case, the 12 markers were identical except one of two locations,
i.e., either 385a (son has 10 vs others 11) and/or 385b (son has 16 as well
as four of the others and the other two have 15s at 385b).

So back to my original question: Is there anything special about this
combination?

Thanks for answering. But I think I still need help here. Sons ID at
Y-Search is HSB48.

Sharon