From: Charles <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] No 12 marker random matches displayed for a common haplotypepattern
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 16:30:36 -0400

Sharon:

OK you say you know he signed the release form and you mailed it in with
the kit. The next thing to check is to see if you have the correct
button checked in his "set up preferences" tab/section of his account.
You need to have the button checked to allow comparisons to the entire
FTDNA database AND you need to check the block to allow display of 12
marker matches. Check the "set up preferences". Experiment with the
various buttons checked and unchecked. If you still can't see any random
matches for 12 markers, call FamilyTreeDNA.com and ask them to check
your account. Maybe they got the release form and through clerical
oversight never entered that fact into your account.

Charles Kerchner
(note: no S in my name)

Sharon Bryant wrote:
> Hi Allen,
> Yes, the release was signed. I watched him do it since we live together.
> There were no matches when the results first came in so I went in and
> changed the preferences so that matches would show even if they are not
> in the surname project. (And, I just went back to his personal page to
> verify no matches -- yep, I was right -- no 12/12 matches and no other
> matches listed, no even four steps away).
>
> I have loaded his results into Y-Search and just ran a comparison.
> Interestingly, there are a lot of names with 1-step, 2-step, 3-step
> mutations. I picked some at random (well, they were at random until I
> realized I was seeing a lot of Charles' Kerschner names as 1- or 2- step
> mismatches) and compared them. Four that I chose were Kershners or a
> variant spelling and the other two I looked at was Day which was my
> birth name.
>
> In each case, the 12 markers were identical except one of two locations,
> i.e., either 385a (son has 10 vs others 11) and/or 385b (son has 16 as
> well as four of the others and the other two have 15s at 385b).
>
> So back to my original question: Is there anything special about this
> combination?
>
> Thanks for answering. But I think I still need help here. Sons ID at
> Y-Search is HSB48.
>
> Sharon

This thread: