From: Charles <>
Subject: Near Match in Ysearch.org with Charles
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 16:40:04 -0400

Sharon:

I would like to see you upgrade to 37 markers and see how many of us
random matches you found in Ysearch.org continue to closely match. I
suggest you upgrade to 37 markers. 37 markers will clearly sort out
those worth looking at more closely, as to a traditional genealogical
closeness in time and space of the two family lines, if any.

Charles Kerchner
Emmaus PA
http://www.kerchner.com/dna-info.htm

Sharon Bryant wrote:
> Hi Allen,
> Yes, the release was signed. I watched him do it since we live together.
> There were no matches when the results first came in so I went in and
> changed the preferences so that matches would show even if they are not
> in the surname project. (And, I just went back to his personal page to
> verify no matches -- yep, I was right -- no 12/12 matches and no other
> matches listed, no even four steps away).
>
> I have loaded his results into Y-Search and just ran a comparison.
> Interestingly, there are a lot of names with 1-step, 2-step, 3-step
> mutations. I picked some at random (well, they were at random until I
> realized I was seeing a lot of Charles' Kerchner names as 1- or 2- step
> mismatches) and compared them. Four that I chose were Kerchners or a
> variant spelling and the other two I looked at was Day which was my
> birth name.
>
> In each case, the 12 markers were identical except one of two locations,
> i.e., either 385a (son has 10 vs others 11) and/or 385b (son has 16 as
> well as four of the others and the other two have 15s at 385b).
>
> So back to my original question: Is there anything special about this
> combination?
>
> Thanks for answering. But I think I still need help here. Sons ID at
> Y-Search is HSB48.
>
> Sharon

This thread: