From: Robert Stafford <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] DNA Analysis for Conventional Genealogy vs. Deep Ancestry
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 13:52:20 -0700 (PDT)

Several of us are looking for branch tags by upgrading as much as possible. In our project, we found several mutations that define branches.

However, parallel mutations can be a big problem with higher mutation rates and/or a lot of people. This calls for some extra care in testing documented lines. Once you see around ten mutations you have about a 50/50 chance of one parallel mutation using 40 markers.

We found a good early mutation at DYS438, a slower marker. However, we ran into three mutations that appear to be in parallel on DYS439, a faster marker. They occurred where the paper trail is excellent, so we weren't misled. However, beyond the paper trail, they could have been a real problem.

Bob Stafford

"Kenneth V. Graves" <> wrote:
In a previous message I wrote:
Are there techniques that we could be developing that would better allow
determining exact connections? I suspect that if we tested enough markers
(perhaps including types that are not now tested) we would find that for
each transmission event there is some sort of change/mutation. Although some
of these might not have long-term stability, we might be able to find
something unique for each transmission event, allowing us to pinpoint the
exact connection with a lineage. Maybe some enterprising person could even
find a way to screen the genome for changes connected with a specific
transmission event or lineage.

I was mainly referring to Y-DNA testing in this paragraph. I also realize
that any methodology for doing this might require many descendants of a
common ancestor to be tested, and that we have previously discussed on this
list the value of testing more markers. My question is: Do any of our
experts see the general concept of the preceding paragraph as promising?

Ken

last 12 months. Largest online collection in the world. Learn more: http://www.ancestry.com/s13965/rd.ashx

This thread: