Subject: Re: [DNA] Non-Participation in Genographic Project
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 17:06:11 EDT

writes:

> The greater divide may be between those who believe that the public data
> will actually be useful to scientists studying ancient migrations and those who
> believe it is just a money raiser. It appears that the public portion is a
> financial project looking for a scientific rationale.

I agree that participating in the project should be based more on altruistic
motives than expectations of direct and immediate benefit to one's traditional
genealogy. (The same applies to the Sorenson Molecular Genealogy Foundation
project, BTW.) The fee for uploading results already obtained at FTDNA
certainly falls in that category, but "donating" your haplotype also has some
scientific value, not related to ancient migrations.

A big pool of haplotypes can be used to more reliably answer questions about
haplotype diversity (how often would your haplotype match another just by
chance), build network diagrams (which can identify large clusters possibly
correlating with prolific founders such as Somerled), calculate mutation rates for
individual markers, find more outliers (unusual alleles or haplotypes) and so
forth. For example, one of my lines, SNP tested as R1b, has a very unusual
value of 10 for DYS392 compared to the modal value of 13. It would be useful for
me to know whether there exist haplotypes that fill in the gap between 10 and
13, or whether I should just call that a rare three-step mutation and
consider haplotypes which otherwise match well.

My data has not yet been uploaded to NG, but I understand that there will be
a questionnaire to fill out. That could add some value to the haplotype
collection, but my main point is that even pure haplotype data has some utility
which could ultimately be useful for traditional genealogy.

Ann Turner

This thread: