From: "robert mclaren" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] DNA Analysis for Conventional Genealogy vs. Deep Ancestry
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 18:10:03 -0400

Bob,

I haven't run into any parallel mutations yet --- don't have enough in my
database. However, there hasn't been much written about parallel
mutations. Interesting that you are running into several.

Bob

Ancestry

> Several of us are looking for branch tags by upgrading as much as
possible. In our project, we found several mutations that define branches.

> However, parallel mutations can be a big problem with higher mutation
rates and/or a lot of people. This calls for some extra care in testing
documented lines. Once you see around ten mutations you have about a 50/50
chance of one parallel mutation using 40 markers.

> We found a good early mutation at DYS438, a slower marker. However, we
ran into three mutations that appear to be in parallel on DYS439, a faster
marker. They occurred where the paper trail is excellent, so we weren't
misled. However, beyond the paper trail, they could have been a real
problem.

> Bob Stafford

This thread: