From: Charles <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Non-Participation in Genographic Project
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 19:41:21 -0400

Glen and Doug:

I joined the NGS Genographic Project directly via the National
Geographic Society site so I had not tried to upload my data from FTDNA
since I don't want to duplicate my data in the NGS public database.

I just checked what I would see if I try to upload my data from FTDNA
but stopped short of doing the upload to avoid duplication. This is what
it says in the Genographic Project upload page one see from your FTDNA
account about the $15 fee.

"Being a current Family Tree DNA customer, you will be given the
opportunity to join the Genographic Project without having to order a
kit and perform a new test. You will be asked to agree to the Project's
consent terms, and contribute with a nominal fee of $15. Proceeds from
this fee will be directed to the Legacy Project which will support local
education and cultural preservation efforts to benefit the participating
indigenous populations"

Thus the $15 fee is not kept by FamilyTreeDNA but is directed to the
Legacy Project which will support local education and cultural
preservation efforts to benefit the participating indigenous populations
in the world wide Genographic Project.

Charles Kerchner
http://www.kerchner.com/dna-info.htm

Glen Todd wrote:
>>Charles
>
> I rather wish that they would say so, though.
>
> Glen

This thread: