From: (David Faux)
Subject: Participation in Genographic Project
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 02:11:50 +0000

One thing that I suspected was that the NGS would use the M343 SNP to represent R1b based on the maps they were using before they started accepting orders. My results from the GenoGraphic Project confirmed this. This is entirely unreasonable. All R1b males from Western Europe are M269 which is an old marker (perhaps 50,000 years old). I defy anyone to find me a M343 Y chromosome without M269 (P25 and M343 are simply upsteam markers).

However if you believe that NGS are simply using what FTDNA uses with respect to SNPs you would be wrong. First FTDNA uses P25 for R1b, not M343. In addition, for R1a they use SRY10831.2-. However on his GenoGraphic results my uncle is labelled M17 based on his haplotype (they did not do any SNP testing, I just uploaded his data yesterday). Actually they are correct since my lab tested my uncle and he is in fact R1a1-M17+ as are virtually all Y chromosomes which are SRY10831.2-. As a matter of fact I have not seen any R1a that are not R1a1. If I did I would suspect a genotyping error.

David F.

> Hi John,
> If you want to see what you will be getting, you can take a look at my
> results. I don't mind.
> Email me off list & I'll give you my password.
> Cindy

This thread: