Subject: Re: [DNA] Participation in Genographic Project
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 23:55:28 EDT

My husband has been SNP tested and comfirmed G2 (P15+) by FTDNA, but at NGS
they are calling him G (M201)
Julia.

In a message dated 6/8/2005 9:12:39 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
writes:

One thing that I suspected was that the NGS would use the M343 SNP to
represent R1b based on the maps they were using before they started accepting
orders. My results from the GenoGraphic Project confirmed this. This is entirely
unreasonable. All R1b males from Western Europe are M269 which is an old
marker (perhaps 50,000 years old). I defy anyone to find me a M343 Y
chromosome without M269 (P25 and M343 are simply upsteam markers).

However if you believe that NGS are simply using what FTDNA uses with
respect to SNPs you would be wrong. First FTDNA uses P25 for R1b, not M343. In
addition, for R1a they use SRY10831.2-. However on his GenoGraphic results my
uncle is labelled M17 based on his haplotype (they did not do any SNP
testing, I just uploaded his data yesterday). Actually they are correct since my
lab tested my uncle and he is in fact R1a1-M17+ as are virtually all Y
chromosomes which are SRY10831.2-. As a matter of fact I have not seen any R1a that
are not R1a1. If I did I would suspect a genotyping error.

David F.

This thread: