From: "robert mclaren" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Joining two DNA projects
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 12:58:29 -0400

At this time, you can only belong to one project. However, a number of us
have been requesting that FTDNA allow a person to belong to more than one
project. For example, those running area projects include a number of
surnames. In some cases there may also be a surname project. In my case,
I have the Clan MacLaren Surname DNA Project. The Clan has many surnames,
including Low(e), Lawrence, Patterson, etc. These also have surname
projects.

I did visit FTDNA at the National Genealogical Society's annual conference
last week and discussed this point with Bennett Greenspand. He told me
that this capability will be added, and it should be soon (perhaps a month
or two). When that happens you can join another project.

I would discourage you from leaving the Davenport Project. Why would you
leave since you are a Davenport? While the project administrator will
still have your data, he would not have any upgrades that you would elect
to have done after you leave. Furthermore, FTDNA does offer the
adminstrator some tools and hopefully they will offer more in the future.
I was showing Bennett and his son Elliott the nice files one can generate
on McGee's site. He was impressed and hopefully may try to do something
like this. The displays show comparisons between different haplotypes,
calculating a modal haplotype, genetic distances, and time to common
ancestor. You can vary the imputs to these calculations (such as number of
years per generation, mutation rate, etc.) The color coding makes these an
excellant display.

Bob McLaren

http://www.ancestry.com/s13968/rd.ashx

This thread: