From: Jon Spencer <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] SNP TEST and NGS PROJECT
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 12:31:57 -0700 (PDT)

Mary,

Thank you for responding to my question. I was informed, not certain when, or by whom, that FTDNA required that a tester (participant) had to have done a SNP test with them to be able to transfer their 12 markers to NGS. It had something to do with ambiguous haplogroups, or predicted haplogroups, or something that might clutter up the research.

However, since my original message and your considerate reply, I have learned that ALL persons who have tested at least 12 markers with FTDNA, can upload their data to the NGS database. They DO NOT have to do a SNP test to confirm their haplogroup to qualify for the NGS benefit. This is good! Not sure if the other DNA testing companies are offering the same benefit.

js

Mary AsaWoman <> wrote:
I think I can try to answer your question.

As a female, the DNA testing I could have done is mtDNA and biographical.
Therefore, I had my mtDNA tested by Oxford Ancestors a number of years ago
and took the 2.0 and 2.5 upgrade from DNAPrint. Results from the DNAPrint
European ancestry 1.0 test are pending. I, myself, never used FTDNA, even
though my daughter's dad was tested by them.