From: "" <>
Subject: Six R1b (actually R1b1c) subclades -- SNP test results
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 15:33:08 -0400

I recently had myself SNP tested for R1b1c and six subclades. The R1b1c
test is not yet final, but based on comparison with other tested
individuals it is a foregone conclusion that I will be M269+ when the
results are in. I belong to the 25/11/14 "Irish" variety of R1b. As David
Faux frequently reminds us, M269 is the marker that we all ought to be
using rather than M343 or P25 to identify the R1b population of Europe. (In
the current YCC table, M343 = R1b; P25 = R1b1; and M269 = R1b1c.)

I am negative for the first six subclades of R1b1c. That is, I show the
ancestral rather than the derived values for these SNPs. They are:

SNP Defines
M37 R1bic1
M65 R1b1c2
M126 R1b1c3
M153 R1b1c4
M160 R1b1c5
SRY2627 (M167) R1b1c6

Several of these markers identify Iberian subclades and two are
significantly associated with Basque populations. I did not realistically
expect to test positive for any one of them, but I wanted to confirm a
negative correlation for as many as I could.

Dean McGee and Pat Tagert (who match my haplotype closely) did some
expanded SNP testing last year. Pat tested five of the six downstream SNPs
listed above with identical results -- all negative. My negative result on
M37 may reasonably be taken to apply to him as well.

M37 is a rare SNP found, so far as I know, only in two Australians of
unreported regional or cultural ancestry (Underhill 2000). There was an
outside chance this SNP might have been associated with a subclade that
originated in the British Isles. My results by themselves do not foreclose
on that possiblity. But if that theoretical subclade exists, it does not
include the 25/11/14 variety.

David Wilson

http://mail2web.com/ .

This thread: