From: (David Faux)
Subject: Re: [DNA] SNP TEST and NGS PROJECT
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 00:13:50 +0000

You may be on to something Charles. Looking at the match profile you have a R1b that is termed Belarus Ashkenazi, and another that is Austria - Hungary Ashkenazi - Levite. Among the R1a1 matches there are Belarus Ashkenazi, and Austria - Hungary Ashkenazi - Levite also. I think you may be right. This is just too much of a coincidence. The P25 marker used for assigning a person to R1b is quirky - look at all the backtracking Biron and the EDNAP people are having to do because they made a mistake with almost the entire sample with P25. I will put good money on a M269- and M17+ for the two "R1b" in this sample. A shame that Max has to go through this SNP testing when it is obvious he will be M17+

David F.

> David:
>
> Yes David. I think this is the first clear cut example (if it holds up
> upon tighter scrutiny and double checking) of two or more people SNP
> tested and being placed into different haplogroups and yet having
> exactly the same 12 marker haplotype. It looks like the overwhelming
> majority of the 12 marker matches are SNP'd into the R1a haplogroup. I
> wonder if the two R1b matches should be rechecked by the lab that SNP'd
> them to rule out the possibility of "clerical" or other errors, etc.
>
> Charles Kerchner
>
> Max Heffler wrote:
> > FTDNA's response to me:
> > Because of your haplogroup predictions, we cannot upload your results.
> > Because you have exact matches with two different haplogroups, (r1a and
> > R1a1, at least in our database are actually the same) r1a, and r1b, your
> > results cannot be shared with the Genographic project. The only way to know
> > for sure which haplogroup you belong to is to have a SNP test.
> >
> > For my 39 exact 12-marker matches:
> >
> > 10 R1a matches:
> >
> > R1a Austria - 1
> > R1a Belarus Ashkenazi-Levite 1