From: "robert mclaren" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Is there a way to go on?
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 23:37:05 -0400

Pat,

I'm not sure I fully understand. Let me state what I think you said and
let me know if that is the case. You have tested some descendants of
William and some descendants of Charles. All the descendants of William
show one haplotype and all the descendants of Charles show a different
haplotype, and the two haplotypes are not close. If this is the case, you
do not know which of the two go back to Samuel -- all you know is that a
non-paternity effect occured in either with William or with Charles (or in
a line of descent from them). You would need to test a third line of
descent from another son of Samuel in order to see which of the first two
lines of descent this third line matched. The line that didn't match would
be where the NPE occurred.

In order to find out if the NPE occurred with William or Charles, you need
to have tested at least two descendants of William through two different
sons of William, and at least two descendants of Charles through two
different sons of Charles. If this is the case, you can say William and
Charles are not related. If this is not the case, than the NPE occurred
someplace in the line of descent from one of them, but you don't know where.

We can chew on this better if we had more information. Foir example, let
us know who was tested (use A, B, C, D, etc.) and how they descended from
William and Charles.

There are a number of explainations for a NPE. One is that the paper trail
is wrong and that both William and Charles are not sons of Samuel. Another
is what you mentioned, i.e., Samuels wife was pregnant with either William
or Charles when she married Samuel. That child would have the Y chromosome
of his father, not Samuel. Another NPE would be due to adoption.

As I said above, if you give us more information, someone will answer.

Bob McLaren

pregnant with someone else's child but that would not be YDNA would it?

> What are the possibilities to explain this?
>
> Yes, I am a newbie..I planed to figure this out my self..but I wont live
long enough.. in college I had the first text book with DNA .. so that
means.. I am old!

> Be kind and help me
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Pat