From: (David Faux)
Subject: RE: [DNA] mtDNA classification and help
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 14:20:44 +0000

Does it not make sense that the Afro - Caribbean sample is from an individual of mixed ethnicity - much as we see with the Y-DNA data. Thus I really don't find Hg H to be any surprise. I believe that all L clades have 16233T. We found four African motif L (L2, L3) samples in the 503 sample Shetland dataset. This is not an unusual finding for a large northern European sample, but no one has yet come up with a satisfactory explaination for their presence in persons with no known African heritage. I was told that in all probability their earlier ancestors were on the Scottish Mainland, before that in England, and at an unknown time previously, in Africa. To be sure, a fascinating migrational event.

David F.

> Initially I also saw this as H from looking at Supplementary Data from
> Richards et al. (2000) but when I looked in the mtDNA Concordance I found an
> HVR1 sequence 16024 (omitted), 16183.1C, 16183.2C, 16189C for Afro-Carib.
> Just now looking at Charles Kerchner's mtDNA Log I see there are listed an H
> and H5a1 with HVR2 of 263G, 309.1C, 309.2C, 315.1C, 456T. I find it
> interesting that the FBI database has an exact match of African origin.
>
> I guess I am hitting the trees whilst running through the mtDNA woods!
>
> Robert

This thread: