Subject: Re: [DNA] SNP TEST and NGS PROJECT
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 10:42:18 EDT

That's a very interesting collection of results. How to explain the 2 R1b
predictions?

1) I think it's a distinct possibility that there was a transcription error
here. They are both Ashkenazi, which might mean that the data came from
Hammer's published or unpublished research studies rather than customers. I would ask
FTDNA to review the source data. Have you uploaded your profile to
http://www.ysearch.org? If so, maybe someone who knows more about the raw data for the
published studies could take a look and see if there's more information.

2) If it's not a transcription error, then this could very well be a case
where the Kittler protocol giving the high-low order for DYS385a/b would show
that they are actually different haplotypes.

3) The presence of both R1a and R1a1 is ambiguous. Were all the R1a tested
for R1a1? If FTDNA only recently started testing M17, we couldn't tell from the
haplogroup report. This is a case where the actual SNP results (e.g. SRY10831
coded as R1a, and M17 coded as plus or minus) would resolve the issue.

Ann Turner

writes:

> For my 39 exact 12-marker matches:
>
> 10 R1a matches: