From: Bonnie Schrack <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] mtDNA classification and help
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 11:09:39 -0400

Sorry I didn't see this thread last night, but I wasn't online.

This mtDNA is very unlikely to be in an L clade for precisely this
reason given by David Faux:

> I believe that all L clades have 16233T.

I know we can't all follow all the threads, but it's been explained
several times on the list that all European clades belonging to the R
superhaplogroup, which includes H, V, U, K, J and T and related clades,
lost -- way back when R first appeared -- the 16223T that formerly was
the norm.

Thus all haplogroups outside of R, such as W, I, N1, X, A; M, C, D, G,
Q, Z; and all the Ls, have 16223T, as this was the original state of the
mtDNA starting in Africa.

This makes it easy to tell at a glance whether any mtDNA result belongs
to one of the R groups or not. If 16223T appears, it is unlikely to be
within R. Rarely, there have been back-mutations within R so that
16223 appears again.

But it's almost universal that if 16223T does *not* appear, an mtDNA
will be part of one of the haplogroups in R: H, V, U, K, T, J or T
(also the non-European haplogroups B and F are included in R, but they
are rarely found in Europe).

Bonnie Schrack

This thread: