From: "" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Question - Haplogroup R1A1
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 20:08:34 -0400

Hi, Jim --

Welcome to the fray. The short answer is that R1a1 (or R1a, as it is often
called in discussions here) is found in a broad swathe from the Steppes
across Eastern Europe into Baltic regions and somewhat further north. So
the answer is, "Yes, it is found in both places" -- and a lot of places in
between as well.

Just to keep things in perspective, it is possible that the first male who
carried the R1a1 SNP lived 30,000 years ago, give or take 10,000 years. The
haplogroup existed for a long time before the Kurgan culture evolved that
is mentioned in the FTDNA description of R1a.

Don't let me leave you with the impression that there is no definitional
difference between R1a and R1a1. There is. But it seems to be the case that
no one has ever found an R1a haplotype that didn't also show the marker
that defines R1a1 if the researcher bothered to test for it.

Side note: you have your email program set to force replies to go to your
personal address. If you find the "reply to" field in your settings menu
and leave it blank, you should find that replies to any message you post to
the list will default to the list rather than come back to you alone.

David Wilson
Wilson Surname Project co-administrator