From: Russell <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] nearest Lab
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 19:18:12 +1000

Thanks for your response Robert and Bill.

I was hopeful that there was a lab in Australia that did the same
testing, perhaps not.
However I think I will now use the FTDNA lab.
I will try and join up with the *Harris* name project, I had held out on
joining because I don't see any Australian members. I guess someone has
to be the first.
Thanks again
Russell

Robert Stafford wrote:

>Russell,
>
>Usually, it is best to join a surname project. You need others of the same surname for comparison. About the only thing you would get out of a one-person Y-DNA test is the haplogroup for following migrations. There is a Thomas group at FTDNA, so it makes sense to join it. It requires approval though.
>
>http://www.ftdna.com/surname_det.asp?group=Thomas
>
>You can also test through the Genographic Project for 12 markers (or MtDNA) and then opt into the surname project at FTDNA. See:
>
>https://www5.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/participate.html
>
>If you wanted to start your own group, it would be a good idea to consider Relative Genetics (RG) at www.relativegenetics.com or DNAHeritage (DNAH) www.dnaheritage.com. They are both cheaper and faster. However, the choice of firm depends to a great extent on whether you are more interested in ancient ancestry or genealogical applications.
>
>Bob Stafford
>
>Russell <> wrote:
>Hello List,
>I think I am just about ready to take the plunge and have my test done.
>But I dont know where to go.
>Are there any list members in Australia and if so where did you get your
>tests done?
>Your help is greatly appreciated
>Russell

>Search Family and Local Histories for stories about your family and the
>areas they lived. Over 85 million names added in the last 12 months.
>Learn more: http://www.ancestry.com/s13966/rd.ashx

>New! Family Tree Maker 2005. Build your tree and search for your ancestors at the same time. Share your tree with family and friends. Learn more: http://landing.ancestry.com/familytreemaker/2005/tour.aspx?sourceid=14599&targetid=5429

This thread: