From: Bonnie Schrack <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] J2 or J1?
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 08:51:10 -0400

Hi Janet,

You wrote:

> I entered these markers at Whit Athey's Predictor and the results were
> 56% J2. (In the usual FTDNA order)
>
> 12 23 14 10 13 18 11 17 11 13 11 31
>
> Does that mean they could not be J1?

No, it certainly doesn't mean they couldn't be J1. As you will have
noticed, Whit does not include J1 in his Predictor. This is because he
doesn't have enough J1 haplotypes available, according to what I understand.

J2 and J1 are, naturally, close enough that J1 haplotypes still receive
a reasonably high score on Whit's Predictor.

56% J2 is not an especially high reading. But I would agree that this
looks like a fine, typically J haplotype. The high 17 at DYS388 is
especially typical of J1.

As a matter of fact, there are some exact 12 marker matches for this
haplotype among haplotypes at Ysearch which look to be J1, such as
9B7XC and 6B7ZZ.

It sounds like you had some prior indication that this haplotype might
be J1. I would tend to agree, though 12 markers is inadequate, of
course. I hope this person will upgrade to 37 markers and provide some
more greatly needed data on J1 haplotypes. Once the 37-marker results
are in, I can comment on some of the more interesting markers.

Bonnie Schrack

This thread: