From: "Dale E. Reddick" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Found - Europe's oldest civilisation (4800BC) - links,etc.
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 20:33:03 -0400

Hey Bonnie,

You know, this date seems a little bit early for the preliminary entry
of Proto-Indo-Europeans into Central Europe. But, who knows - these
folks had a mostly correct mix of the domestic animals ("pastoralists,
controlling large herds of cattle, sheep and goats as well as pigs")
thought to be representative of the earliest I-E speakers. There might
be something here for those of us interested in I-E origins (though,
probably not).

I am confused by the last paragraph in "The Independent"'s report: "One
village complex and temple at Aythra, near Leipzig, covers an area of 25
hectares. Two hundred longhouses have been found there. The population
would have been up to 300 people living in a highly organised settlement
of 15 to 20 very large communal buildings."

The second and third sentences of that paragraph don't match up,
content-wise.

Dale
________________________________

Bonnie Schrack wrote:

> Thanks, Ian, this is extremely interesting. Odd that the
> investigations based in Germany have been revealed through a British
> newspaper. I checked Deutsche Welle, and they just had a summary
> taken from the article in the Independent, and citing it. I'll be on
> the lookout for more on this one.
>
> The basic story centers on discoveries of some 150 huge earthwork
> temples from the early Neolithic period, 4800-4600 BC, in Central
> Europe. The most complex one they have found so far is the Nickern
> site, in the city of Dresden. They were all built during a period of
> no more than 200 years, and then no more such large constructions were
> undertaken for the next 3000 years until the Bronze Age.
>
> They also mention that the people who built these lived in "highly
> organized" "substantial villages" of very large, communal longhouses,
> of which a number have been found.

This thread: