From: Bonnie Schrack <>
Subject: Y Haplogroup distributions in Southeast Europe
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 11:01:50 -0400

Interesting thing about this paper (Pericic et al) is how you can
pinpoint ethnic groups and small regions where the subclades of certain
haplogroups have their highest concentration. (Most of the following
percentages have been slightly rounded for convenience.)

Until now I believe we had considered (Dinaric) I1b to have its
strongest concentration and probable origins in Croatia. This paper
however shows neighboring Bosnia & Herzegovina as having the highest
concentration today, and the "variance," which seems to mean diversity
of STR haplotypes, is centered just on the B.-H. (east) side of their
border (the Dinarides mountains, according to the map) with Croatia.
Croatia at that point is a narrow strip along the Adriatic coast. They
got a comparatively large sample of 141 Herzegovinians and found 64% of
them to be I1b, while Bosnians were 52% I1b.

In Haplogroup J, I had thought of J2e as just "Balkan" in origin. This
study points to the Albanians as a contemporary people who carry an
extraordinarily high percentage of J2e Y DNA. A small sample of 56
Albanians from another study tested as 14% J2e, while a larger sample of
114, from this study, of the "reproductively isolated" Kosovo Albanians
had nearly 17% J2e, which they speculate may be due to genetic drift.
None of the other ethnic or regional groups they tested came close to
those levels. Greeks, Macedonians and Serbians all tested in the 5 - 6%
range for J2e, while other groups had insignificant levels (almost no
Bosnians, Herzegovinians, or Croatians).

One problem, though, is that so far no one seems to have tested
Bulgarians for J2e or I1b. The variance map shows an upswing in the STR
diversity for J2e as one approaches the Bulgarian border with Serbia and
especially in the south with Macedonia. But the data frustratingly ends
at that border. Bulgaria could be the real place of origin for J2e,
while the Kosovo Albanians could have migrated from there or been cut
off by a later influx of the I1b and R1a people from the north. Anyone
know Balkan history?

The Kosovo Albanians were found to be one of the only two groups with
low levels of I1b; the other were the Macedonian Romani. I1b was
otherwise widespread in the Balkan region, radiating from its center in
the area already described.

These two exceptional groups also had the highest percentages of E3b1:
45.6% for the Kosovo Albanians and 30% among the Macedonian Romani.
Following them in their data were Macedonians with 24% and Serbians with
20%. They incorporate data from many other recent studies and show
Albanians with 27%, Greeks and Romanians with 21.4% each, and Bulgarians
with 20.7% E3b1, from this other data.

In their own data they have distinguished between E3b1* and E3b1-alpha.
The latter was far more common. This data is given at the bottom of
the phylogenetic tree diagram. They found no samples with E3b*. There
were one sample with E3b2 and one with E3b3 among the Kosovo Albanians.
The unique diversity of E3b1 among that popuation suggests to me not
simply genetic drift but somewhat distinct roots from the other groups
tested.

Sorry for having omitted R1a and R1b, but that's all I have time for
now. Hopefully someone else may find something else interesting in it
to point out. I wish I knew something about Balkan history, which would
put all of this in a far more meaningful context.

Bonnie Schrack

This thread: