From: Bonnie Schrack <>
Subject: More, more... E3b & R1b, and I1b expansions
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 12:29:47 -0400

Aw, heck, I can't resist giving some more nuggets from this, now I'm
starting to wake up....

For all of you interested in E3b1 -- this is good [my explanations in
brackets]:

> It is very likely that a variance peak [shown in data from Semino]
> centered in
> northeastern Africa as well as high variance values in Turkey and
> southern Italy are due to the
> inclusion of δ [delta] (and a few southern Italian β [beta] )
> chromosomes. Almost 93% of SEE E3b1
> chromosomes are classified into α [alpha] cluster. In Europe the
> highest E3b1 α [alpha] variance is among Apulians, Greeks and
> Macedonians and the highest frequency of the cluster is among
> Albanians, Macedonians and Greeks (table 1). Bearing in mind the
> congruent E3b1 α [alpha]
> frequency, variance maximums and star-like phylogenetic network (fig.
> 8B), it is possible
> to envision that a yet undefined sublineage downstream of M78,
> characterized by the nine-repeat
> allele at A7.1 locus [DYS460], may have originated in south and
> southeastern Europe from where it
> dispersed in different directions.

> E3b1 frequency and variance are significantly correlated with latitude
> showing
> higher values towards south. . . A lower frequency of E3b1
> significantly distinguishes
> populations of the Adriatic-Dinaric complex, i.e. mainland Croatians,
> Bosnians and
> Herzegovinians (7.9%; 95% CI 0.054-0.114) from their neighboring
> populations of the Vardar-Morava-Danube river system, i.e. Serbians
> and Macedonians (21.9%;
> 95% CI 0.166-0.283). These observations hint a mosaic of different
> E3b1 dispersal
> modes over a short geographic distance and point to the
> Vardar-Morava-Danube
> river system as one of major routes for E3b1, in fact E3b1 α [alpha] ,
> expansion from south and
> southeastern to continental Europe. In fact, dispersals of farmers
> throughout the Vardar-Morava-Danube catchments basin are also
> evidenced in archeological
> record (Taringham, 2000).

To sum up the above quotes, they correlate the spread of E3b1-alpha from
origins in the Macedonian-Greek-Albanian area into the rest of Europe,
with the spread of farming into Europe (presumably in the Neolithic).

Of course, I haven't been studying E3b, so I don't know if this is any
news to those who have been.

On R1b: they see evidence of the presence of two separate local peaks in
the northern and southern Balkans, which they speculate could represent
populations originating from the Iberian (the northwest Balkan group)
and the Asia Minor refugia, which they point out was found by Cinnioglu
to be associated with different Taq 49a,f haplotypes 15 and 35 -- which
this current study unfortunately didn't test for. They found the
expansion of R1b in the Balkans to have taken place at the same time as
the expansion of I1b, around 11,000 years ago, and their guess is that
both haplogroups expanded in and from Southeastern Europe at the time of
the Younger Dryas to Holocene transition, that is, as the climate began
to warm a little before the Neolithic.

Bonnie Schrack

This thread: