Subject: Re: [DNA] YHRD Update [haplotype diversity]
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 12:43:34 EDT

In a message dated 6/10/05 4:35:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
writes:

> I unsubscribed for a week at the beginning of June, but I don't think
> anyone
> has pointed out that YHRD released new data on May 31. The database has
> grown as follows:
> May 31 Prior
>
> Haplotypes 32,196 28,650
> DYS 438/439 extended 7,897 6,281
> Populations 271 249

I've been taking snapshots of the European data to follow the haplotype
diversity. It has increased from 18711 to 20851 records in the latest release, and
the number of distinct nine-marker haplotypes has grown from 8497 to 9006.
Thus about 24% (509/2140) of the new records are haplotypes not previously noted.
This is down from about 40% in prior updates, but it shows that we haven't
reached a saturation point yet, even with just nine markers. Sometimes people
wonder if their results can be correct when they can't find a match in a
database as large as YHRD, but we've just scratched the surface of what's out there.

Ann Turner

This thread: