From: "Mark MacDonald" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Campbell origin
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 14:55:47 -0500

Steve

I'll try. By Dalriadic, I mean the group of irish invaders to Scotland
traditionally believed to be led by three brothers, Fergus, Lorne, and Angus
around 465 AD. Those brothers were traditionally believed to be great(?)
grand sons of Colla Uais who had conquered Ulster and burned Emain Macha its
capital with his brothers also named Colla around 325 AD. Colla Uais became
High King for a brief period and then was driven into a brief exile in
Scotland with followers from his principal families. He returned to Ireland
after marrying a princess of the southern picts but most of his followers
stayed. The initial capital was at Dunadd in southern Argyll. I believe
they spoke a form of Q celtic, i.e. son of is Mac. Ultimately, from this
small kingdom with whom St Columba was closely tied came the line of King
Kenneth MacAlpin circa 840 AD who united the picts and the scots. According
to traditional histories of St Columba he freed the Scottish portion of
dalriata from its irish military service obligation to irish dalriata
located in Antrim.

By brythonic in this discussion I refer to the residents of the Kingdom of
Strathclyde and ( I believe by memory Bernicia),an area before 400AD roughly
bounded originally by Dumbarton Rock near Glasgow, Dun Eidin ( Edinburgh),
Carlisle and Berwick which had a P celtic language. These peoples began to
incur angle and saxon invasions by the late 400s and were pushed to the
west. They were heavily harmed by the Viking invasions of the 880s and 890s,
some migrated south and became the " Men of the North" in modern Wales. A
broader linguistic definition would also include all of the original
speakers of proto P celtic throughout Britain ( excluding Ireland). That
broader definition should not impact the Campbell discussion.

Mark Mac Donald