From: "Steven C. Perkins" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Campbell DNA Project Speaks Up
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 22:15:10 -0500

Peter:

What is it about a Dalriadic descent that makes it non-British?

As an American, my understanding is that the British are the
non-Anglo-Saxon, non-Norse, and non-Norman (and their auxilliaries)
elements in the population of the British Isles. If the Scots came
from Ireland to Dalriada, and they spoke some form of Celtic
language, and the Campbells descend from them, why are they not British?

It seems the DNA evidence is largely R1b, like most Welsh, Irish, and Scots.

Thanks,

Steven C. Perkins

At 08:50 PM 6/14/2005, you wrote:

>>One can only admire the construction of Ane Accompt which provides the
>>Campbell Chiefs with every possible claim to respectability. Ancient Irish,
>>Dalriadic amid Norman descents are added to the Strathclyde British
>>one; ancient claim
>>is laid to the Lordship of Loch Awe and to a social position which permits
>>marriage to the greatest in the land. Once stripped of all time obvious
>>additions, the added descents amid the convoluted claim for
>>posses-sion of Loch Awe
>>'past memory of man', it would seem we are left with a pedigree
>>which indicates
>>three things: a British descent, a descent of respectably high degree, amid
>>the acquisition of a position in Argyll through marriage with an existing
>>heiress of a dynasty who, while not necessarily of any great
>>importance, had been
>>there for a long time.
>

>Nice to have you come onboard with your courteous post. However, in
>the end it seems that the official line is a British descent. This does not
>match up with the DNA results. The Campbells are clustered with those
>surnames known to be Scots (Dalriadic) in origin. Colla aside there are a
>number of surnames whose origins are not so uncertain and the Campbells
>are clustered among these surnames. In your post you note that over the
>years the Campbell origins have shifted to whatever is popular at the time.
>Is this not happening again with Campbells trying to be in tune with American
>blockbusters like Braveheart and King Arthur? What leads you to stay
>firm on this position based on the DNA results you have nicely made public?
>
>Best wishes!
>
>Peter

>Search the US Census Collection. Over 140 million records added in the
>last 12 months. Largest online collection in the world. Learn more:
>http://www.ancestry.com/s13965/rd.ashx

This thread: