From: "David Wilson" <>
Subject: My mtDNA results are in
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 20:30:08 -0700

After a delay of about a month my mtDNA results are in. I am clearly an H
and not too far from the CRS. The only HVR1 variant is 16519C. In HVR2, the
differences are 93G, 263G and 315.1C.

Of these four differences, only 93G is not commonly encountered. In
haplogroup H, it seems to be limited to the H3 and H13 subclades. When it
occurs in motifs assigned to other haplogroups, it is found in the company
of other mutations that are not seen in my case.

When I compiled a database from mitosearch a couple of weeks ago, there were
only 17 instances of 93G in the entire collection. Allowing for the fact
that half the mitosearch records did not test HVR2, that looks like a 2-3
percent frequency rate for this marker in the Eurocentric mitosearch data
base.

Some of the few mitosearch posts that include 93G assign it to H1, H* or
even H7. I don't know what the justification for those assignments would be,
given the H-clade charts that FTDNA provides. I am unsure about the import
of 16519; in one chart that mutation is used as a discriminant that
precludes membership in H1. In a different chart, H1 is a possible
classification for motifs that include the 16519 mutation.

Eventually I will order the H-refine test just to take the remaining
uncertainty out of this situation. If anyone who knows the H-clades better
than I do has a thought about this, I'd be glad to hear it.

David Wilson