From: Asparagirl <>
Subject: BBC Article: Oprah says she's a Zulu
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 12:00:59 -0700

From the BBC:

US chat show host could be a Zulu

DNA experts have questioned Oprah Winfrey's belief that she is a
member of South Africa's Zulu nation.

The African-American chat-show host announced during a recent visit to
South Africa that she had had a DNA test that had shown her to be a
Zulu.

She also told South Africans she felt "at home" in the country.

"I went in search of my roots and had my DNA tested, and I am a Zulu,"
Ms Winfrey said at a seminar in Johannesburg last week.

Professor Himla Soodyall of South Africa's National Health Laboratory
Service said it was likely that Oprah Winfrey would have taken a
mitochondrial DNA test...

Full article here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4096706.stm

The article says she's only discussed this when in South Africa. But
if she someday discussed it on her talk show, or even devoted an
entire episode to genetic genealogy, can you imagine how many more
people might be inspired to get tested?

Out of curiosity, what is the usual mitochondrial DNA haplogroup for Zulu's?

- Brooke Schreier Ganz
Los Angeles, California

This thread: