From: (John Chandler)
Subject: Re: [DNA] Campbell origin
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 17:42:09 -0400 (EDT)

Janet wrote:
> You could not display arms not belonging to your lineage. The Dragon
> with a bloody hand in his mouth is there.

I've gone back and forth on this issue many times over the years, but
the bottom line is this: in Colonial America, there were no Heralds'
Visitations. In other words, there was no authority capable of
discerning, let alone enforcing, the rules of heraldry, and anyone
here who felt he had a reason to display a coat of arms could do so
with complete impunity. Any blazon found in America must therefore
be taken under advisement.

John Chandler

This thread: