From: "Peter A. Kincaid" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Campbell origin
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 20:02:46 -0300

Aside to what John Chandler noted, a blazon in a quarter does not
prove direct male descent; albeit the first quarter is a good place.
Furthermore, by your own information the arms of Rhys Goch of
Ystrad Yw were "Argent a dragon's head erased vert holding in its
mouth a hand Gules" so the quartered arms are a differenced arms.
This is then open to interpretation. Kincaids today are being
granted coats of arms which contain themes around the basic
traditional Kincaid coat of arms which included Gules a fess Ermine
and a triple towered castle in base. No descent from the original
Kincaid who may have been entitled to these arms are given. These
are used as they have, by tradition, been associated with Kincaids.
A step back even further, the Gules a fess Ermine part is associated
with Crawfords. These could have come to the Kincaids by descent
or by the Kincaids using arms associated with that of their superior
(the later now almost certainly appears to be the case). These examples
could very well apply to the arms you cite as well. It would be better
to build a case based on a lineage of coats of arms versus just one
example.

Best wishes!

Peter

This thread: