From: "David Wilson" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Help me figure out what happened here
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 04:46:23 -0700

Amy,

I guess I woke up skeptical this morning, but I would look at this apparent
correlation with suspicion.

First, a genetic distance of four over 25 markers is not that close a match,
and when the two haplotypes you are comparing lie as close to the modal
values for R1b as they do you should expect to see at least some apparent
similarity when you put the two side by side. Maybe there is a
McWhirter/McWhorter connection between the male and female lines somewhere
way back when, but you shouldn't interpret the DNA to require it.

What would make me think about this differently? If you were dealing with a
25/25 match, that would catch my attention. Or if you found really rare
matching values on a single marker or set of markers (like 15,15 at 385a,b,
to use an example that has been in my mind recently), that might be enough
to override my suspicion of a weak correlation across the entire marker
sets.

Maybe there is something in what you have found, but don't discount
randomness as an explanation.

David Wilson