From: Robert Stafford <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] newbie question
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 11:06:02 -0700 (PDT)

They were talking about the usual markers, so FTDNA's faster overall rate may change the equation somewhat. I would also compare living to ancestral haplotypes, in which case I would tighten it up by 1 or 2 for a genealogy of about 400 years. We haven't found any that had worse matches to the ancestral than 41/43 in 250-350 year genealogies.

Bob Stafford

Robert Davenport <> wrote:

What I take from this little snippet is that you have to have at least a
33/37 marker test to really mean anything, and you need only concern
yourself with matches in the same surname.

This thread: