From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] I1a question
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 12:44:38 -0600

You are being fed a lot of nonesense by the testing companies who feel
compelled to describe the haplogroups yet don't bother to keep their
"descriptions" up to date with the latest knowledge. I really think their
commentary on haplogroup I has been scandalous. The uniquely Viking variety
of I1a will be 14,23 at DYS19,390 with 385a,b being 14,14 or 14,15.

I1a from the area you describe is most likely "Anglo-Saxon" I1a with 14,22
or 15,22 at DYS19,390. It will most probably have 12 at DYS462. Seeing
your whole haplotype might further clarify probable origins.

I1a went from northern Germany up to Scandinavia, not the other way. Where
I1a was during the last glacial maximum is a good question; there is
presently insufficient evidence to reach a conclusion. It could just as
well come from the middle Danube basin, the Balkans, or the flanks of the
Alps.

Today the highest percentage of I1a in a population is found in Scandinavia,
and then northern Germany/Netherlands. A lot of it got to the British Isles
with AngloSaxon, Viking, and even Norman invaders/immigrants.

The paper you refer to might be Rootsi et al? I disagree with their
conclusion that I1a came from Iberia/southern France. Their conclusion is
based on relatively few I1a haplotypes found in that region and whose
diversity can be understood other ways.

Ken