From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] I1a
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 14:23:55 -0600

People of British Isles descent seem more interested in genealogy, and now
genetic genealogy. So the databases of American customers are heavily
slanted toward the British Isles origins. But the Anglo-Saxon haplogroup
I1a variety from NW Germany and Netherlands was brought to England in large
quantities during the invasions of 450 A.D. and thereafter. I noticed
another cultural continuity in recent weeks in a trip through AngloSaxony.
From the Netherlands all the way to the Mecklenburg/Pomerania region of
Germany along the North Sea and Baltic coasts the roofs of the farm houses
were "hip" in style in which the roof ridge did not extend from end to end
but was cut off with slanted roof sections at each end. My route stayed
fairly close to the coast. Roofs were also often thatched in these areas as
well.

Plattdeutsch and Frisian are derivative of the Germanic language variety
which was foundation of the Germanic part of English.

My guess is that "Neyer" is straight from Germany rather than from the
British Isles.

Ken