From: "gareth.henson" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] 464 Mutations
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 21:45:03 +0100

Hope

I don't know if this is relevant but sometime in the past 2 months we
discussed peak heights and it was commented that shorter alleles tend to
have higher peaks for the same number of copies. There is quite a gap
between the short 13 allele and the longer 18,19,20 alleles on the graph, I
wonder if the extra height on a single 13 could be mistaken for a double or
even triple result if there was only one other peak at the 18 mark.
In other words could your two 13,13,13,18 samples in fact be just 13,18?
Then these at least could be explained by a loss of two of the original four
copies which were probably 13,18,18,20. 13,18,19,20 is just 1 step from this
i.e. a normal mutation.
13,13,18,20 could be a misread of 13,18,18,20 if the 13 peak is large and
the 18 peak is small, or it could be one copy overwriting another.
Without seeing any graphs this is just guesswork but it seems at least as
reasonable as assuming that all the differences are due to mutations. Have
any of the group upgraded to 37 markers?

Best wishes

Gareth