From: "Glen Todd" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] R1b Hispanic?
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 16:42:36 -0600

> Maybe I'm missing something, but shouldn't Spanish surnamed
> Hispanics be R1b, which according to the chart, originated
> in the Iberian peninsula?

Yes, no, and maybe.

The problem is that Hispanics aren't a single ethnicity at all, but a recent
mixture of at least four (Northern European, Mediterranean - with a little
bit of Jewish admixture, Native American, and African). Percentages of
these can vary greatly within the generic class - and do. Additionally
(Hispanic Projects person - please correct me if I'm oversimplifying),
surnames frequently did not follow strict genetic lines; peones might have
given the name of the patron when first asked at a time when surnames were
not common among the lower classes, and slaves very often would have. The
same surname could be Scandinavian 'I', Continental 'R1b', Mediterranean,
African, or NA. My former team commander is named Garcia, and (at least
according to him) he's a Yaqui Indian and doesn't like being called
'Hispanic' at all.

For another, similar example, I'm also very interested in the American Civil
War (particularly the Massachusetts units). My surname - Todd - is of Old
English/Old Norse origin and is essentially exclusively either R1b or I in
the Todd Families DNA Project. Yet, it shows up several times in the
enlisted rosters of USCT (United States Colored Troops) units from
Massachusetts. (USCT units were negro enlisted men with 'white'
officers.) While it is possible that some of these were 'wrong side of
the blanket' descendants, it is more likely (especially given consistency
with census and vital records) that the surname was 'acquired' in this way.
(Unfortunately, we have not yet found any male line descendants of these men
to test.)

In other words, surname alone can NOT be used as a guide to haplogroup.

Glen

This thread: