From: (John Chandler)
Subject: Re: [DNA] Overall Genetic make-up----comparing Y DNA/mtDNA tests with BioGeographical tests
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 19:16:23 -0400 (EDT)

Louis wrote:
> So I guess, I want to know how many generations back would you need to go to
> get a very high resolution of your ethnic origins?

The problem is that the Y and mt haplotypes do not represent
ethnicity. Period. I'm sure you realize that you can't look at your
own haplotype to deduce your own ethnic mixture. Well, the same thing
is true of your grandparents and your grandparents' grandparents and
so on. You can hope to gain some resolution by averaging together
more and more samples, but the reliability of each sample is very low
as an ethnic indicator, no matter how far back, and so the *accuracy*
of the average never improves. You'll always have to wonder if there
were systematic mating trends in your particular lines leading to the
ancestors you sample.

John Chandler

This thread: